This is a wonderful sandwich, good for any season. Serve with cream soups, or any chicken-stock soup, for a great supper. For a quick lunch, add a salad, Kosher dill spears and a tall glass of iced tea.
- 2 slices light caraway rye bread
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 x 1-oz slices Monterey jack Cheese
- 1 medium California avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced thinly
- 4 large slices tomato
- 4 slices sweet onion (Vidalia, Texas, Spanish, etc.)
- ½ Cup alfalfa sprouts
- no-stick spray
- Spray no-stick on a griddle or skillet (preferably cast iron) and heat til hot, but not smoking.
- Butter one side of each slice bread, and place buttered side down on griddle.
- Place one slice cheese on each slice bread, as for grilled cheese.
- On one slice, layer bread with onions, sprouts and tomatoes.
- Arrange avocado slices on top, turning them to make a heart shape.
- Remove from heat and top with second slice bread.