This Open Face Grilled avocado Sandwich is "Food for the Gods". It is so good, that it probably should be labeled a "controlled substance" by the Food and Drug Administration!
I have prepared this recipe hundreds of times as a young man growing up in Whittier, California, using tree-ripened Fuerte, Anaheim, and Lyon avocados.
- 2 slices of 7-grain whole wheat bread
- 1 half lemon
- 1 avocado -- preferred varieties are: Fuerte, Hass, or Anaheim.
- freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly mash avocado in a bowl, using a fork.
- Add a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice to mashed avocado.
- Add seasoning to taste (oregano, ground black pepper, and salt).
- Finish mashing avocado to blend ingredients.
- Toast two slices of bread in toaster.
- Apply a thick coat of the avocado to each slice of toast.
- Place the two slices of "avocado toast" in the broiler oven, and broil for two to three minutes with the door open. (The broiling time will depend on the oven and broiler setting.)
- Visual inspection will tell when broiling has reached "perfection".