The way the French cook their onions!
- Makes 8 to 12 servings.
- 3 – 4 dozen white pearl onions, peeled
- 1½ cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lemon slices
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1¼ cups sultana raisins
- ¼ cup white raisins
- Put onions in skillet with wine, vinegar, salt, pepper, and lemon slices.
- Simmer until onions are just tender but still crisp in the center.
- Stir in tomato paste and raisins and cook for several minutes.
- Remove the onions to a dish.
- Let the juices cook down with the raisins until the liquid is almost a glaze.
- Pour over the onions and chill.
- Serve as an hors-d'oeuvre or with cold meat.