Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- In a 3-quart heavy pot, preferably cast iron or copper, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the onions and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook until the onions turn a deep golden color, about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on your pot.
- Stir frequently.
- Add the broth and the nutmeg, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, bring the beer to a boil over medium heat and boil until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Transfer this mixture to a blender.
- Add 1 cup of the onion soup and blend until smooth. Reserve.
- Remove the onion mixture from the heat and strain. Reserve the liquid.
- Transfer the onions to a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth.
- Return the purée to the pot, add the reserved liquid and the cheddar cheese mixture.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve piping hot in a tureen.