This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Huey Estate in Richardson, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ½ cup finely chopped white onion
- 1½ teaspoons caraway seeds
- ¼ cup bacon fat
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup light molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Spray muffin pan well with non-cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large frying pant sauté onion and caraway seeds in bacon fat until golden then cool down.
- In a large bowl combine egg, molasses and milk and combine well.
- In another bowl combine well flours, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and fold together gently until just mixed.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool.