Its very easy to prepare and takes no time. It can be served with any meal. Very Tasty. This recipe yields 1 pound pickled okra.
- 1 lb okra halved lengthwise
- 6 tbl kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbl Sugar
- 10 x black peppercorns
- 1 tbl mustard seeds
- 1/2 lb Thinly-sliced onions
- Toss the okra with 3 tablespoons kosher salt and let it sit in a colander for 1 hour over the sink to drain.
- Combine the vinegar, water, remaining salt, Sugar, peppercorns, and mustard seeds in a non-reactive pot.
- When the okra has drained for 1 hour, rinse it thoroughly and let it drain.
- Bring the liquid mixture (brine) to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Place the okra and the onions in a non-reactive storage container, and pour the hot liquid over it.
- Stir occasionally until it cools, and refrigerate overnight.