Copyright 2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved
- ¼ pound good thick-cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup medium-diced Yukon Gold potato
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 5 extra-large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, diced, plus extra grated cheese, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Cut the bacon crosswise in 1-inch slices. Cook the bacon in an 8-inch ovenproof saute pan over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Drain the bacon on paper towels and discard the fat from the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan, and then add the potato and yellow onion. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the onion starts to brown and the potato is tender but firm.
- Add the jalapeno pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together with a fork.
- Stir in the scallions and diced cheddar.
- When the potato is cooked, add the bacon to the pan and pour over the egg mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the omelet puffs and the eggs are almost cooked in the center.
- Sprinkle with a handful of grated Cheddar and bake for another minute.
- Serve hot directly from the pan.