- In a saucepan, saute half of the onion, all of the green pepper and garlic in a small amount of oil, until the onions are slightly browned.
- Add half of the tomatoes and all of the parsley and continue cooking until the tomatoes are very soft.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin and pepper.
- Open the can of beans and smash the beans a bit with a fork (especially if they are large beans).
- Add the beans to the pan along with ¼ cup of water.
- Heat, then reduce heat and simmer for another 4 – 5 minutes.
- To serve, place the hot cooked beans in the serving platter.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped onion and tomato on top.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve pita bread on the side.