Contributed by World Recipes Y-GroupWhile searching for other tuscan soup recipes on the internet, I found that many people search for the Zuppa Toscana that The Olive Garden restaurants in the U.S. carry on their menu. The actual recipe is not known but many have tried to duplicate it; Here is one version.
- 1½ cups spicy sausage links
- ¾ cups onions, diced
- 6 slices bacon
- 1½ tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillion powder (or 2 cubes, crushed)
- 1 quart water
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced up and then halve the slices
- 2 cups kale leaves, sliced thinly (spinach can be substituted)
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream (try fat free half-and-half)
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Place sausage links on a sheet pan and bake 25 minutes or until done.
- Cool, then cut in slices, then halve the slices.
- Put onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until the onions are almost clear.
- Remove bacon and crumble.
- Add garlic to onions and cook one minute.
- Add bouillon powder, water and potatoes.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add bacon, sausage, kale and cream.
- Simmer 4 minutes and serve.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Buon Appetito!