The Old Fashioned cocktail is a pre-Prohibition American cocktail.
Old Fashioned from the Wikibooks Bartending Guide—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Place sugar in glass; add water (~1 tsp) to dissolve.
- Muddle in bitters and orange slice.
- Fill with ice, add whiskey.
- Garnish with cherry.
- The amount of whiskey may be increased
- The Brandy Old Fashioned is popular in some areas, and a rum analogue can be made as well
- This drink is often served essentially as a highball, but this practice is frowned upon by experts