Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Many families have an old-fashioned bean soup recipe that's been handed down for generations. This one has been lightened up in fat and sodium delicious served with black bean cornbread.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: www.cinnamonhearts.com
- Source: Magic Beans, 1996 by Patti Bazel Geil.
- Makes 6 Servings
- nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 (15½ oz) cans pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (14½ oz) can no-added-salt whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (4-oz) can diced green chiles, drained
- ½ cup water
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp basil
- 3 sliced green onions
- Coat a saucepan with cooking spray.
- Place over medium-highheat until ht.
- Add bell peppers; sauté 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add 1 can pinto beans and mash.
- Add remaining beans and next 6 ingredients; stir well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with green onions.
Nutritional information Edit
Per (1 cup) serving:
- 233 Calories | 1g Total Fat (<1g Sat Fat) | 43g Carbs | 12g Dietary Fiber | 0mg Cholesterol | 181mg Sodium | 13g Protein
- Exchanges: 3 starches | 1 very lean meat