It is quite a long process but well worth the effort. The amount of sugar in the final stage can be varied according to taste.
For The Starter Edit
To Feed the "Plant" Edit
To Flavour Edit
- Stir the starter ingredients, cover and leave in a warm place for 24 hours. This is your starter "plant".
- Feed the "plant" with 1 teaspoon each of ground ginger and sugar each day. After 7 days, strain through a fine sieve.
- Dissolve the sugar in 2 pints of water.
- Add the lemon juice and the liquid from the "plant".
- Dilute with 5 pints of water, mix well and store in corked bottles for at least 7 days.
- Use strong bottles as pressure may build up which will cause thin bottles to explode.
- For the same reason use corked bottles rather than those with a more secure closure that will not "give" under pressure.