Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: my old recipes
- Serves 8
- 3 lbs small white onions
- ⅓ cup margarine
- 8 oz medium mushrooms, halved (2 cups)
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tbsp dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp paprika
- ¼ tbsp pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- In large pan, over high heat, bring onions and enough water to cover to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer covered 30 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet over medium heat, melt margarine; add mushrooms.
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally until tender and lightly browned.
- With slotted spoon, remove mushrooms to bowl.
- Stir flour into drippings remaining in skillet until well mixed; over medium low heat, gradually stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring frequently until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sherry, salt paprika and pepper.
- Drain onions.
- Slip off skins.
- Add to skillet along with mushrooms.
- Over low heat, cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir constantly until vegetables are heated through and coated with sauce.