This is enough stuffing to fill an 18 lb turkey. I prefer baking the stuffing separately to avoid any problem of contamination. However, a stuffed turkey does look beautiful, so use good care in handling.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: With Love from Darling's Kitchen
- ½ cup butter
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ cup melted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pkg. herb seasoned stuffing mix (8 oz each)
- 2 cans chicken broth (10½ oz each)
- Sauté onions and celery in butter until onions are soft.
- Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender.
- Place mixture in a large bowl and stir in the next 7 ingredients.
- Stir in only enough chicken broth to hold stuffing together.
- This can be used to stuff the turkey or it can be baked separately.
- To bake separately: place stuffing mixture in a 12 inch round baking pan, sprinkle with ⅓ cup chicken broth and heat for 30 minutes at 350°F.
Important: do not stuff turkey far in advance of roasting. Stuff shortly before roasting. Remove stuffing before storing leftover turkey. Improper handling of stuffing can lead to growth of harmful bacteria. So please take care to stuff turkey shortly before roasting and remove stuffing from turkey before storing.