Adapted from the 1956 Betty Crocker cookbook
- Serves 6.
- 3 cups soft bread cubes, use 4 cups for a firmer pudding
- 2 cups milk scalded with ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
- ½ cup seedless raisins
- Add bread cubes to a greased 1½-quart baking dish.
- Whisk together milk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt and cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Add raisins.
- Pour over bread cubes and gently combine.
- Place in a pan of hot water.
- Bake at 350 °F for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Chocolate: Add ½ cup chocolate chips instead of raisins. Omit the spices. (Cinnamon does taste good with this variation though I have tried it).
- Butterscotch: Use brown sugar instead of granulated sugar.
- You can use non-fat dry milk in place of regular milk. If you do this, whisk together the milk and water to make 2 cups. Add the butter. Heat until steaming in a microwave-safe measuring cup in the microwave oven. Follow directions as given.