Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Boiled beef with horseradish
- Serves 6
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4½ pounds boiling beef
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh horseradish
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs — beaten
- ½ cup flour — sifted
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup melted butter
- Slice onion and carrot.
- With other ingredients except the flour, place with the boiling beef in a kettle with enough water to cover.
- Let simmer 4 hours on top of the stove until tender.
- Remove fat from top of broth when cooled.
- Add flour to fat to make a smooth paste.
- Add 1 cup of the broth from the pan and cook, stirring, until thick.
- This is to be served as gravy for plain boiled potatoes.
- Slice the boiled beef and serve with: horseradish sauce mix all ingredients together, chill, and serve cold over cooled beef.
- For an unusual mixture of hot and cold, accompany the beef with: potato dumplings cook potatoes in their jackets until done.
- Peel and put them through a ricer, or mash them, while hot.
- Salt and let cool.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add the flour and work with the fingers until dough is smooth.
- If too moist, add a little more flour to make it firm enough to form a dozen or more dumplings, depending on their size.
- Drop the dumplings into a kettle of boiling water or into boiling stock if you have some left from the liquid the beef was boiled in.
- Cover and let cook 15 minutes.
- Brown the bread crumbs in the melted butter.
- Pour the buttered crumbs over the dumplings.