Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Recipe from "A Book of Middle Eastern Food" by Claudia Roden. This recipe is for 6 serves.
- 2 lbs fresh young okra
- ¾ lbs onion, sliced thickly
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 lbs tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- Wash okra.
- Cut off any hard stems and dry okra thoroughly.
- Heat oil in large saucepan and fry onions with the halved garlic cloves until slightly soft, transparent, and golden.
- Add okra and continue to fry until slightly softened.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and saute for a few min.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until the okra is very tender, usually about 1 hour.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and cook for a further 15 min.
- (if using canned okra, cooking time will be much shorter.
- Serve hot or cold.
- If to be served cold, allow to cool in the saucepan before turning out into a serving dish.