Recipe from "A Book of Middle Eastern Food" by Claudia Roden. This recipe is for 6 serves.
- 2 lbs fresh young okra
- ¾ lbs onion, sliced thickly
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 lbs tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- Wash okra.
- Cut off any hard stems and dry okra thoroughly.
- Heat oil in large saucepan and fry onions with the halved garlic cloves until slightly soft, transparent, and golden.
- Add okra and continue to fry until slightly softened.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and saute for a few min.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until the okra is very tender, usually about 1 hour.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and cook for a further 15 min.
- (if using canned okra, cooking time will be much shorter.
- Serve hot or cold.
- If to be served cold, allow to cool in the saucepan before turning out into a serving dish.