Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 cup of white flour
- 1 cup of raw oatmeal
- 2/3 cup of packed brown sugar (or 1/2 cup Regular sugar plus 1/4 cup of date syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup of packed, chopped pitted dates, 1/2 cup of water, and juice of a lemon
- (or 1 cup of date paste and 3 Tablespoons of butter)
- 1/3 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
- Make the filling by boiling the dates with the water for about 5 minutes or until bubbly and soft.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and nuts. (Alternatively, heat the date paste with the 3 Tablespoons of margarine and nuts.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, Sugar, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Press 2/3 of the flour mixture in a 9" x 9" baking pan.
- Spread the filling over it.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture over the top.
- Very lightly press the top. (You want the top to be flaky, so press only to help the crumbs stick on once cooked.)
- Bake in a 350 °F oven for about 30–35 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or cool.