- Stir oatmeal into hot water.
- Add salt and butter; cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, stir in 1 ½ teaspoons sugar until dissolved.
- When yeast mixture starts to bubble, add to oatmeal mixture.
- Stir in brown sugar and enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead until smooth and satiny.
- Cover and let rise until double.
- Punch down dough, divide in half.
- Roll one portion into a rectangle.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Spread cherry pie filling (using only ½ of entire recipe for both braids) down center of dough.
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon lemon peel.
- Cut 1-inch strips on each side of filling to within ½ inch of filling.
- Starting with top right strip, overlap dough over filling, working right to left, pinching lightly to seal.
- Let rise until almost doubled.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While braid is still warm, frost with glaze of confectioner's sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.