- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 cup water
- ¼ cup light or dark molasses
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pk active dry yeast (1 tbsp)
- ½ cup warm water (110 – 115°F)
- 1 cup bran
- ¼ cup soy flour
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 3 cup whole wheat flour
- Cook the oatmeal according to directions in 2 cups water.
- Add the molasses oil and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and add to the oatmeal mixture.
- Stir in the bran, soy flour, and wheat germ.
- Beat in the whole wheat flour, adding a little at a time, until the dough is stiff.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place in a lightly oiled bowl until doubles in bulk.
- Punch down and knead again until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into two loaves.
- Shape and put into lightly oiled bread pans . Let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a 375°F oven about 40 minutes, or until brown and sounds hollow when tapped on top.
- Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
Nutritional information Edit
Food energy per slice (1/15 of 1 loaf): 79 calories