Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Ready in: < 30 minutes
- Serves/Makes: 72
- ½ cup shortening
- 1¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup apple juice
- 2¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
- ¾ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- skim milk
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat shortening and 1¼ cups brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined.
- Add egg and beat 1 minute.
- Add apple juice and beat at low speed until blended.
- In another bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture, beating at low speed until combined.
- Fold in apple and raisins.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet.
- Remove to wire racks and cool.
- Heat margarine, ⅓ cup brown sugar, and water over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sifted powdered sugar.
- If frosting begins to harden, stir in small amount of milk to make of spreading consistency.
- Spread cookies with caramel frosting and sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutritional information Edit
- 63 calories | 2 g total fat | 0 g saturated fat | 32 mg sodium | 11 g carbohydrate | 0 g fiber | 1 g protein | 1% calcium
- Diabetic exchanges: ½ starch | ½ fat