This recipe came from an estate sale. It was obtained when the family collection was purchased from the Burnett Estate in Terrell, Texas in 1981.
- 2 cups scalded milk
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 7 cups flour, divided into 6 cups + 1 cup
- Add shortening, sugar and salt to scalded milk then allow to cool.
- Dissolve yeast and ½ teaspoon sugar in warm water.
- Add eggs and yeast to milk mixture.
- Beat in 6 cups flour a little at a time.
- When dough can be handled, turn out on floured surface and knead using reserved 1 cup flour until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise covered for 20 minutes.
- Punch down and let rise 20 more minutes.
- Roll into balls and arrange in greased muffin tins (3 per cup)
- Allow to rise 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter when done.