Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: North Carolina and Old Salem Cookery, 1955
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- vanilla wafers
- bananas (preferably with skins that are just starting to turn black)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Blend sugar, salt, and flour.
- Add 1 whole egg and 3 yolks and mix together.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook in a double boiler over boiling water, stirring, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- In a baking dish, arrange a layer of whole vanilla wafers, a layer of sliced bananas and a layer of custard (use more wafers for a drier pudding and less for a soupy one)
- Continue, making three layers of each.
- Make a meringue of remaining three egg whites and 6 tablespoons of sugar.
- Spread over banana mixture and brown in 375°F oven.
- Place in the refrigerator and let sit a minimum of 24 hours before serving (ah, no samples out of the corners, please!)