Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Also known as Cactus Pie
- 8 fresh cactus pieces, paddles with thorns and eyes removed and tough edges sliced off, diced
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie, 9 inch (either your favorite recipe or frozen pre-made pie crusts)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 slice fruit of prickly pear cactus (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Parboil cactus for 3 minutes in enough boiling, lightly salted water to cover in a covered saucepan.
- Drain and rinse under running water.
- Roll half of pastry to ⅛-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Place in a 9-inch pie plate; trim off excess pastry along edges and set to the side.
- Combine cactus dice (nopalitos) and next three ingredients; mix well by hand.
- Spoon filling evenly into pastry shell, and dot with butter.
- Roll remaining pastry to ⅛-inch thickness; cut into ½-inch strips and arrange into lattice;
- Fold edges under and flute into a pretty edge.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes.
- Garnish with slice of prickly pear fruit, if desired.