- ½ lbs snow pea greens
- 2 red chilies
- some rice wine (sake, shaohsing, whatever)
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 4 chopped scallions
- 8 to 12 ounces Japanese noodles (soba, udon, whatever -- i used soba)
- Lightly steam pea greens -- crisp, but cooked.
- Chop chilies, shallots and scallions.
- Slice shiitake thinly.
- Heat large non-stick skillet.
- Roast chilies for a minute, then add about ¼ cup rice wine.
- Add shallots and cook till they just start to darken (about 4 minutes).
- Add more wine if it starts to stick.
- (put water on to boil for noodles) with wine cooked off, add shiitake.
- They should give up their own water.
- Cook another 3-5 minutes till mushrooms are fully cooked and pan is drying out.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, and scallions.
- Cook for a minute and then turn off burner and set aside.
- Water for noodles should be boiling, add noodles and cook till done, about 5 minutes usually.
- Toss noodles, pea greens and mushrooms.
Ya know, slivered shiitake reminds me of tripe when it cooks. I bet if you substituted shiitake for the tripe in a good recipe it would make a tasty dish.