Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- Yield: 12 Servings
- 8 oz uncooked broad egg noodles
- 3 large eggs, beaten, or ¾ cup egg substitute
- ¾ cup low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and diced in ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
- ¼ cup margarine, melted
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions, omitting salt; drain well.
- There should be 4 cups of cooked noodles.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
- Prepare an 8-inch-square pan with non-stick pan spray.
- Combine the eggs, cottage cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Stir in the noodles, apple, and raisins.
- Pour into the prepared dish.
- Drizzle the margarine evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cut the kugel into 12 equal pieces (about 2 x 2 inches).
- Serve hot or chilled.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (one 2 x 2½-inch square):
- 156 Calories | 6g Fat | 71mg Cholesterol | 122mg Sodium | 20g Carbs | 1g Dietary Fiber | 6g Sugars | 6g Protein
- Diabetic exchanges: 1½ starch | 1 fat