Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Flat onion bread
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 1½ cups of finely chopped onions
- ¾ cup of lukewarm water (about 110°F)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet set over high heat.
- Add the onions, reduce the heat to low, and stirring occasionally, cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft but not brown.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Melt the remaining butter in the skillet and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lukewarm water and, with a large spoon stir in the chopped onions, and 2½ cups of flour, ½ cup at a time.
- If necessary, beat in is as much of the remaining ½ cup of flour as you need to make a dough that does not stick to your fingers.
- Gather the dough into a large, compact ball and divide into 16 pieces.
- With the palms of your hands, shape each piece of dough into a 1½- to 2-inch ball.
- Then, with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the balls one at a time into circles that are about 8 inches id diameter.
- Set the rounds of dough aside.
- Set a heavy 10- to 12-inch ungreased pan over high heat.
- When it is hot enough for a drip of water, flicked across its surface to instantly evaporate, place 1 pound of dough in the center.
- Brown for 3 or 4 minutes on each side, turning over with your fingers or a wide spatula; do not be concerned if the bread does not brown evenly.
- Transfer the bread to a rack to dry and proceed to fry and dry the remaining dough similarly.
- Serve the bread in a basket or other porous container.
- If for any reason the bread becomes limp after a day or so, place the rounds in a single layer on a cookie sheet an bake them for 5 to 10 minutes in a preheated 250°F oven until they freshen.