- a few tablespoons of oil
- two or three cloves of garlic, minced
- one onion, finely chopped
- one-half teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper (more or less to taste)
- two or more pounds of greens, stems removed, cleaned, torn or shredded, drained
- one cup water, or chicken broth or chicken stock
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pot.
- Over high heat, sauté onions and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add cayenne pepper and stir for a minute.
- Reduce heat.
- Add greens to pot.
- Cook over medium heat for several minutes.
- Stir greens often, but otherwise keep the pot covered.
- Add water or broth.
- Cook over low heat until greens are tender.
- Add salt if necessary.
- Serve hot.