Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In the mangroves of West Africa, oysters are abundant and are the basis for a number of recipes from this region. Serves: 6 - entree. Heat scale: 2 out of a possible 10 (hottest).
- 6 dozen oysters
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Shuck the oysters (or buy already shucked) and place them in a deep dish.
- Cover them with the lemon juice and powder lightly with the ginger and cayenne.
- Place the tomatoes in a blender and puree them into a paste.
- Heat the oil, add the tomato paste and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until it has the consistency of catsup.
- Add the onion, salt and pepper.
- Place the oysters in the sauce and simmer over a low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.