- In a large pot or dutch oven place chicken, water, onion, celery, salt and crushed pepper.
- Cover and cook over moderately high heat until comes to a boil, reduce heat to moderately low and simmer 30 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, place tomatoes in a pan of boiling water for ½ min.
- Spoon tomatoes out of the water and remove skin. Cut into eighths.
- Add tomatoes, green pepper, lemon juice, tomato paste, and chili powder to chicken.
- Continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add okra to pot, cover and cook another 15 minutes.
- Stirring once or twice.
- Spoon rice into soup bowls and top with chicken mixture.
- When making casseroles, I do not put the rice in with everything else if I am going to be freezing or storing.
- White rice can be frozen in the casserole but I find that if i use brown rice, it gives everything a distinctly grainy flavor that i find disagreeable.
- So i will put the rice in a plastic ziploc bag and freeze it with the casserole. Then I will heat it separately.