Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Recipe by: Elizabeth Powell
- Preparation time: 4:00
- 1 lbs red kidney beans, dried
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ½ tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups rice
- ½ lbs salt pork
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 quart ham or beef stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp thyme
- Soak beans in water overnight.
- In a dutch oven, brown salt pork.
- Add onions, garlic, and celery and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add bean stock, Tabasco sauce, salt, and herbs.
- Simmer 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add water when necessary during cooking; water should barely cover beans at end of cooking.
- Remove 1 cup beans and mash to paste.
- Add mashed bean paste back to beans; stir until liquid is thickened.
- Serve over hot rice.