- Makes 8 servings
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 pound (480 g) purchased low-fat New Mexican chicken-cilantro sausages or other low-fat chicken or turkey sausages
- 2 cups (480 ml) 1% low-fat milk
- 1½ cups (360 ml) egg substitute
- refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- ¾ cups (90 g) shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 1½ cups (360 ml) Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Remove and discard sausage casings.
- Crumble the sausage and sauté in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until evenly browned, stirring and breaking up any large clumps with a wooden spoon.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned sausage to paper towels to thoroughly drain.
- In a 1-quart (1 l) measuring cup, whisk together the milk and egg substitute.
- Lightly coat a 2-quart (2 l) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place ¼ cup (30 g) of the shredded cheese in a self-sealing plastic bag.
- Layer ⅓ of the bread cubes on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top with half of the browned sausage and ¼ cup (30 g) of the shredded cheese.
- Pour 1 cup (240 ml) of the milk-egg mixture over the top.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with the final bread layer and the remaining 1½ cups (360 ml) of the milk-egg mixture.
- Cover with the [[tomatillo salsa.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C, gas mark 4).
- Uncover the casserole.
- Sprinkle the top with the reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake until the strata is bubbling and golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information Edit
- 199 Calories (19% Calories from fat) | 20g Protein | 4g Total fat (1.6g Saturated fat) | 21g Carbohydrates | 1g Dietary fiber | 24 mg Cholesterol | 375 mg Potassium | 689 mg Sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 2 lean protein | 1½ carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, ½ skim milk)