Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Stephen Ceideburg
- Makes 8 servings
- 2½ lbs to 3 pounds chicken or turkey parts
- 2 quart water
- ½ cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ lbs mushrooms, sliced (2½ cups)
- 10 oz frozen peas
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh parsley
- Combine chicken, water, barley, onion, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika and bay leaf in large kettle or dutch oven.
- Bring boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender, about minutes.
- Remove chicken from broth.
- Cool chicken; remove meat from bones and dice.
- Add carrots, celery and mushrooms to broth.
- Cover; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return diced chicken to soup mixture with peas and parsley; cook until heated through.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving :
- 206 calories (43% from protein, 35% from carbohydrate, 22% from fat) | 18g carbohydrate | 5g fat | 57mg cholesterol | 410mg sodium.
- Exchanges: ½ vegetable | 1 bread | 2½ meat