Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- 1 (12-ounce) nonfat poundcake; cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup orange juice 2 pint baskets California strawberries, stemmed (divided)
- 10 tablespoons Sugar (divided)
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1/4 cups egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla lowfat whipped topping, mint leaves and additional strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- Place cake in 2 1/2- to 3-quart trifle bowl or other glass bowl; pour juice over and set aside.
- In blender or food processor puree 1 basket of the strawberries with 4 tablespoons of the Sugar, pour over cake.
- Slice the remaining strawberries; arrange over cake and set aside.
- To make custard, in heavy-bottomed saucepan combine milk, egg substitute, vanilla and the remaining 6 tablespoons Sugar over medium-low heat.
- Stir constantly until mixture has thickened slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Pour custard over strawberries.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours. Garnish, if desired.