This flavorful red sauce comes straight from Naples, Italy, where parsley and basil are considered staple ingredients in any great pasta sauce.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Source: the Editors of Easy Home Cooking Magazine
- Yield: Makes 8 (½-cup) servings
- ½ cup minced green bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cans (10 oz each) no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Place bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic and oil in medium saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes, parsley, basil, salt and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low; cover.
- Simmer 15 minutes; uncover.
- Cook and stir 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Nutritional information Edit
- 36 Calories | 20% from Fat | 1g Total Fat | 86mg Sodium | 1g Protein | 7g Carbs | 1g Fiber
- Dietary exchange: vegetable 1½