- Ethnicity - Marathi, West Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- Mix ginger-garlic paste, salt and yoghurt.
- Apply to chicken pieces and leave for 1 hour to marinate.
- Heat ½ cup ghee and add cumin seeds and shahjeera, cloves, cardamoms, peppercorn and almonds.
- Add chicken, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala powder, and ½ cup water.
- Cook till chicken is tender.
- Add coriander and mint leaves.
- Heat ¼ cup ghee in a pressure cooker and add rice.
- Fry till golden brown.
- Add 3 cups water and pressure cook till the rice is done but not soft.
- Heat remaining ¼ cup ghee and fry onion slices till brown and crisp.
- Drain and reserve.
- In a large pan, put a layer of rice.
- Top with a few fried onion slices and saffron strands.
- Add a layer of chicken.
- Repeat till all rice and chicken pieces are over.
- Cover tightly and finish cooking in an oven or by placing the pan on a hot griddle till each grain of rice is fluffy and the biryani is aromatic.
- Serve hot.