Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Nasi goreng (fried rice) is a popular Indonesian dish. It is easy to make and delicious. Nasi goreng can contain everything, from seafood to meat balls. In Indonesia, nasi goreng istimewa (nasi goreng special) is nasi goreng added with additional fried egg. This dish is usually served with traditional meat accompaniments or with meat in the dish, so the meat and cabbage to go in is optional.
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 3 red chilies, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- sliced cucumbers (to garnish)
- sliced tomatoes (to garnish)
- 8 ounces sliced chicken or pork or medium shrimp, shelled, deveined and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage (optional)
- Stir the rice with a fork to separate the grains.
- Pour a small amount of oil in a wok and fry the egg to make a thin omelet; cool, then shred.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok and fry the shallots, garlic, chilies and shrimp paste until the shallots are tender (if adding any meat or shredded cabbage to this dish, add now and cook until meat is cooked through).
- Increase the heat to high and add the rice, salt and soy sauce, adding a little oil if necessary, stirring constantly until well mixed and heated through.
- Garnish with shredded egg, cucumber, and tomato.
- Serve with fried egg, fried chicken, satay, and shrimp crackers, (in the traditional style), if desired.