- Ethnicity - Bengali, East Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 1 lb. Shrimp - shelled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 hot Thai chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 large coconut
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- wet dough made of 3 tablespoon of flour
- Grind the mustard seeds, chiles, salt, turmeric and water into a smooth paste in a blender.
- Marinate the cleaned shrimps in this paste for at least 10 minutes.
- Split the coconut in two and drain the coconut milk. The milk is not used.
- Put the Shrimp mixture in the coconut halves with the mustard oil and the whole chiles.
- Put the two halves of the coconut together and use a thin rope of dough to seal the joint.
- Put the coconut in the oven and bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
- The author suggests that the preferred method is to barbeque the coconut among coals.
- The coconut is left in the dying embers until the outer layer is well charred --- about 1/2 hour.