Marinated Daikon and Carrot Salad
I've been making this for years. I took a recipe and changed it, it had 30g of carrots, and I like about equal weight of carrot and daikon. I make this using my zester which is nothing like a Microplane zester. It's small, hand held tool (with 6 holes at one end) which you drag down the food to get long thin ribbons. Works really well for these Japanese salads.
- 350 g white radish or daikon radishes
- 350 g carrots
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dashi powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cut the carrot and daikon into the thinest strips you can; i use a zester to do this and it works really well.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with the half teaspoon of salt and allow to stand in a colander 10-15 minutes or until limp.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together and pour over the vegetables.
- Taste for salt.
- This can be used immediately, but marinating it for 24 hours will improve it; just keep it well covered as the radish can be a bit"smelly'" in your fridge.