Pork Salad with Mint, Peanuts and Ginger
A very refreshing taste experience that paired well with a bottle of Gewurztraminer that I wanted to use up. We use the lettuce to make little bundles of the salad. This recipe is from the book "Thai Cooking Class" by Asia Books.
- 500 g ground lean pork or finely chopped pork (~1.1 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried chilies
- 1 teaspoon finely sliced fresh chile
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, sliced into 2 cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, fresh
- 2 tablespoons coriander, fresh,chopped,leaves and stems
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- In large saucepan place minced pork with water; cook slowly over med heat until pork is cooked through but still tender.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, fish sauce, dried and fresh chile.
- When cooled, add onion, shallots, peanuts, ginger, mint and coriander leaves.
- Toss lightly.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves and garnish with mounds of peanuts, ginger and chile.
- Decorate with mint and coriander sprigs if desired.