- Place water in large pot and add beef.
- Bring to boil and add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and reduce to simmer then cook until beef is tender, 30 to 45 minutes, set pot aside.
- In heavy skillet, add oil and heat.
- When oil is hot, but not smoking, add garlic, onions and tomatoes and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add beef to vegetables and reduce heat; cook slowly about 10 minutes.
- Add plantains, peas and coconut milk and continue to simmer over low heat 5 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and cook another 10 to 15 minutes.