I have more cookbooks... but many do not have recipes on page 17. It's usually some part of an intro to the cookbook. Here is a Page 17 recipe: Muz's Pancakes (The World's Best)
- Source: Deep South Staples by Robert St. John (ISBN 1-4013-0838-4)
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup melted butter, divided
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Gently add liquid ingredients, including ¼ cup of butter, and stir until just incorporated.
- Do not overwork the batter.
- The batter is thick; if you like, it can be thinned with a small amount of water or a little more buttermilk.
- Cook pancakes on a lightly greased griddle.
- Pancakes should be turned only once.
- They are ready to be turned when bubbles form in the middle and the edges appear cooked.
- Once pancakes are turned, use a pastry brush to spread the additional melted butter on top of the pancakes while the other side is cooking.
- This will keep you from having to spread cold butter on them, which will tear them.
- The pancakes will already be buttered once they reach the table.
- Top with real maple syrup.