Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 x 4-ounce cans mussels, drained
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- Cook onion in butter in dutch oven or large skillet until tender crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Add celery; cook 1 minute.
- Add rice, salt, basil, pepper and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and mussels; simmer 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add spinach leaves.
- Serve immediately.