Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 can chickpeas (washed and drained)
- 2 – 3 threads saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice, water, salt and margarine and bring to a boil.
- Stir once, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, sauté onions in a little olive oil.
- Add mushrooms and continue to sauté mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When onions and mushrooms are cooked, add the spinach and chickpeas and continue to sauté until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir the mushroom and spinach mixture into the cooked rice.
- Add the saffron and mix well.
- This can be served as a side dish, or a main meal with salad.