Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Gingham Estate in Fort Worth, Texas in 1992.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 2 medium white onions thinly sliced
- ½ pound mushrooms thinly sliced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 large carrot thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced parsley
- Heat oil and butter in large soup kettle then add barley and onions and cook over medium heat stirring constantly for 5 minutes then add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes longer or until the mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- Add chicken stock, carrot, salt and pepper then bring to boiling point and skim.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 1 hour stirring frequently then remove from heat and stir in sour cream and sprinkle with parsley before serving.