- Makes about 1½ cups
- 1½ tbsp olive oil — preferably extra-virgin
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 oz mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, or ¾ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 3 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- toasted Italian bread rounds
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, thyme and lemon peel to skillet and stir.
- Cover and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high and cook until mushrooms begin to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to processor.
- Add cheese, lemon juice, remaining ½ tablespoon oil and finely chop, using on/off turns.
- Mix in parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to small bowl.
- (can be made 3 hours ahead.
- Let stand at room temperature).
- Serve with toasted bread rounds.
Nutritional information Edit
Per 2 tablespoon serving:
- Calories 30 | fat 2g | sodium 17mg | cholesterol 1mg