Portobello lovers will appreciate this elegant salad. Roasting walnuts brings out their flavor.
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons walnut or olive oil, divided
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons walnut or extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra
- 1 bunch watercress, stems discarded, washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, roasted and chopped
- Heat broiler.
- Combine shallot, salt and vinegar in a bowl.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons walnut oil into mixture.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Brush mushrooms with remaining oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill or broil 4 minutes per side 4" from heat source.
- Cut mushrooms into wide strips.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette.
- Arrange watercress and walnuts on salad plates and spoon remaining vinaigrette evenly over each.
- Arrange mushrooms on top.