Serve over slices of polenta. Serves 8-10 as an appetizer.
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp diluted balsamic vinegar
- 1 large red onion, finely minced
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 lb fresh brown mushrooms, such as cremini or portobello, well-cleaned and sliced
- 3-4 small ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbl chopped flat leaf parsley
- freshly ground pepper
- soak dried mushrooms in warm water to cover for at least 45 minutes or until softened.
- remove from liquid carefully and rinse well under cold running water to remove any sand clinging.
- chop mushrooms roughly and drain thoroughly.
- strain soaking liquid at least twice through a sieve lined with cheesecloth and reserve.
- heat a couple of teaspoons of reserved mushroom liquid and diluted balsamic vinegar in a heavy skillet and saute onion until translucent and tender, 10–15 minutes.
- use additional mushroom liquid if onions start to stick.
- add garlic and all mushrooms, turn heat to low and cook, stirring intermittently, for up to 20 minutes, until tender.
- add tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- continue cooking another 5 minutes.