Using convenient no-boil lasagna noodles eliminates the chore of boiling and draining the noodles before assembly. If you are using noodles that require precooking, it's a good idea to rinse cooked noodles with cold water frequently to keep them separate before assembling the casserole. Low-fat silken tofu is best suited to dishes such as lasagna because of the tofu's creamy texture and neutral flavor. Make this delicious lasagna in advance, and reheat before serving.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Vegetarian Times, December 1, 2003, p.30
- Serves: 16
Mushroom-artichoke mixture Edit
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup sliced scallions
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper or capsicum
- 6 oz. portobello mushrooms, diced
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x 13 ¾-oz can (1 ¾ cups) quartered artichoke hearts, drained and diced
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- ¼ cup merlot or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ tbsp. dried basil
- ½ tbsp. dried oregano
Tofu ricotta mixture Edit
- 3 x 12.3-oz pkg. light, silken tofu, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 4 tbsp. mellow white miso
- ½ cup dry vermouth or vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup soy Parmesan cheese or (3 cups Cheddar or Colby-Jack)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 ½ x 25-oz jars (3 cups) roasted red-pepper tomato sauce
- 1 x 9-oz pkg no-boil lasagna noodles
For the vegetable base Edit
- Preheat an oven to 375° F.
- Heat oil and a crushed red pepper in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat about 1 minute.
- Add garlic, scallions and bell peppers, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and artichokes, and cook mixture 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, and add tomato paste and merlot, stirring to blend. Add yeast, parsley, basil and oregano.
- Mix thoroughly, cook 10 minutes and set aside.
Tofu-ricotta mixture Edit
- Mash tofu with the potato masher.
- Add garlic and scallions. Combine miso and vermouth in small bowl, blending with a fork.
- Add mixture to tofu.
- Add soy Parmesan cheese, yeast, thyme and black pepper, mix thoroughly and set aside. Spread a layer of tomato sauce evenly on the bottom of 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Top with a layer of uncooked noodles.
- Add broken noodles around edges for an even fit.
- Spoon tofu-ricotta mixture evenly over noodles.
- Top with another layer of noodles, and cover noodles with tomato sauce.
- Layer with mushroom-artichoke mixture; then cover with a layer of noodles and top with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle generously with soy Parmesan cheese. Cover the lasagna with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake 15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven, and set aside for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information Edit
- 175 Calories | 11g Protein | 3g Total fat | 304mg Sodium | 24g Carbs | 4g Fiber | 5g Sugars
You will regularly use cooked lasagna in addition to the vegetable base and tofu-ricotta mixture.