Dessert Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Public Health, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8
- 2 pounds muscadine grapes
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- Remove skins from muscadines; reserve skins.
- Cook pulp and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5–10 minutes or until seeds loosen. Press mixture through a wire-mesh strainer, discarding seeds.
- Return pulp mixture to saucepan; stir in reserved skins, lemon rind, and apple pie spice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occassionally, 5 minutes or until tender.
- Melt butter in an 11x7-inch baking dish in a 350 °F oven.
- Stir together flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, and milk; pour over melted butter. Pour muscadine mixture over batter.
- Bake at 350 °F for 35 minutes or until golden. Serve with ice cream, if desired.